- If the Affordable Care Act is Repealed, What Would Be the Impact on Community Health Centers and the Communities They Serve?
May 1, 2020
A new blog looks at the impact on community health centers and the patients they serve if the Affordable Care Act is repealed.
- In the COVID-19 Pandemic Community Health Centers Are the Front Line for High-Risk, Medically Underserved Communities
March 24, 2020
A new update underscores the central role of community health centers in controlling community spread, while ensuring that patients have access to their regular source of health care throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.
- How will the Public Charge Rule Affect Community Health Centers and the Communities They Serve? (Updated Estimates)
September 11, 2019
Health centers rely on Medicaid as a major source of operational funding. A new analysis estimating the impacts of the public charge rule on community health centers finds that as a result of Medicaid disenrollment and the rule’s chilling effect on immigrants and their families, health centers nationally could lose between 165,000 and 495,000 Medicaid …
- Community Health Centers Prepare for Funding Uncertainty
September 4, 2019
A new analysis underscores the serious consequences for patients, communities and health centers if the Community Health Center Fund (CHCF) is not extended. The CHCF accounts for 72 percent of all federal grant funding received by health centers, providing a crucial source of funding that allows community health centers to serve patients without health insurance, …
- The New Public Charge Rule Targets Immigrant Receipt of Public Benefits
August 28, 2019
The long-awaited public charge final rule, titled “Inadmissibility on Public Charge Grounds” was published by the Department of Homeland Security on August 14. The rule greatly expands the list of benefits to be considered in an individual’s public charge determination and further establishes that receipt of any public benefits at any time may become relevant …
- What Could New Hampshire’s Medicaid Work Experiment Mean for Community Health Centers?
May 9, 2019
A new analysis of New Hampshire’s Medicaid work demonstration estimates that 2,500-3,779 community health center patients are at risk of losing coverage as a result of work and reporting requirements. The potential effects are far-reaching, resulting in Medicaid revenue losses to the state’s 11 CHCs of up to $2.8 million, which could, in turn, reduce …
- Community Health Center Financing: The Role of Medicaid and Section 330 Grant Funding Explained
March 26, 2019
Since their 1965 beginning as a small War on Poverty experiment, community health centers have matured into a principal part of the health system for thousands of medically underserved urban and rural communities that experience elevated poverty and health risks. Health centers serve patients of all ages and provide an entry point into specialized care, …
- The Recovery of Community Health Centers in Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands One Year after Hurricanes Maria and Irma
September 19, 2018
One year after hurricanes Maria and Irma struck Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands (USVI), recovery of essential community health care has progressed, but remains incomplete and challenging. This issue brief presents findings from a comprehensive survey of community health centers in Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. It describes the current state …
- Community Health Centers’ Experiences in a More Mature ACA Market
August 23, 2018
Community health centers provide comprehensive primary care services in some of the most underserved communities in the nation. A new issue brief from the Kaiser Family Foundation summarizes findings from the 2018 survey of community health centers to provide a snapshot of health centers’ outreach and enrollment activities, as well as changes in service capacity …
- The Role of Community Health Centers in Addressing the Opioid Epidemic
July 30, 2018
Community health centers play an important role in efforts to address the opioid epidemic and in many communities, they are on the front lines as important sources of treatment for those with opioid use disorder (OUD). A new issue brief from the Kaiser Family Foundation presents findings from a 2018 survey of community health centers …
- Community Health Centers: Growing Importance in a Changing Health Care System
March 13, 2018
Drawing on federal health center data from 2016 and the Health Center Patient Survey from 2009 and 2014, this brief describes health centers and their patients in 2016 and examines changes in access to care and utilization of services by health center patients following implementation of the ACA coverage expansions in 2014.
- How Are Health Centers Responding to the Funding Delay?
February 18, 2018
The Community Health Center Fund (CHCF), a key source of funding for community health centers, expired on September 30, 2017, and has since been extended through only March 31, 2018. A new fact sheet from the Kaiser Family Foundation Health presents preliminary findings from the 2018 Survey of Community Health Centers, designed by George Washington …